INDOOR AIR QUALITY AFFECT STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND ATTENDANCE
A healthy indoor environment is essential in promoting the well-being and productivity of students and staff within schools. Scientific evidence has long demonstrated an association between poor IAQ and respiratory health effects. Maintenance issues such as leaky roofs; problems with heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC); insufficient cleaning or excessive use of cleaning chemicals; and other conditions can trigger a host of health problems, including asthma and allergies. These health effects can increase absenteeism and reduce academic performance.
Evidence demonstrating the relationship between IAQ and human performance and productivity has become increasingly robust. Studies demonstrate that improved IAQ increases productivity and improves performance on mental tasks, such as concentration and memory, in both adults and children.
Some schools in the UK are catching on, knowing that indoor air quality have a direct impact on students and staff’ comfort, health, academic performance and well-being.
The UK Department of Education, in order to assist schools, has published the Facilities Output Specification for the new Priority Schools Building Programme (PSBP). Those documents contain the most up-to-date guidance and performance standards on ventilation, carbon dioxide levels, thermal comfort and indoor air quality in schools. It sets new and more stringent criteria for indoor air quality and the learning environment.
Is your School Indoor Air Quality making the Grade?
Our UVC Education solution can help you:
- Reduce school absenteeism and dropout rates: Increase students’ attendance and reduce complaints about student comfort, air quality conditions or odours. Improve your students’ health by reducing exposure to environmental asthma triggers. Create an allergy friendly environment for your asthma and allergy prone students. No more sneezing, stuffiness, itchy eyes, and headaches!
- Improve students’ academic performance: Improve your students’ concentration and productivity at school by improving indoor air quality, free of mould, bacteria or viruses. Improved IAQ increases productivity and improves the performance of mental tasks, such as improved concentration and recall.
- Decrease operating costs:Reduce HVAC energy consumption by 15-20% through HVAC system heat transfer improvements and increased net cooling capacity. Achieve considerable HVAC maintenance savings by reducing or eliminating coil cleaning programs. No more HVAC downtime during maintenance.
- Increase building/asset value: Support your environmental and sustainability effort to achieve corporate BREEAM® and/or LEED®.
Never settle for less than Steril-Aire for ultra-clean air.
Good IAQ helps to provide a healthy and productive environment for students, teachers and staff in order to assist a school in its core mission-educating children
Take action today to ensure every child has a school that is a safe and healthy place to learn
E-CO can help you retrofit your existing HVAC system with the latest Steril-Aire™UVC technology or add a portable in-room air purification system to improve your indoor air quality in the classroom.
Education Case Studies:
- Read details about how the University of New Mexico in Alburquerque, New Mexico was able to improve their indoor air quality and create a better learning and working environment. [wpdm_file id=66]
- Read about the link between Indoor Air Quality and children’ performance in school. [wpdm_file id=67]